advising on IT-business alignment
IT-business alignment about us blog our services articles & reports resources your profile exposure
blog
blog
Friday, March 02, 2007

Five things you don't know about Neil WD

So I got blog-tagged by Ashesh. Hmmm! Thanks, I think...this has been going around for at least two months now, so I was kind of expecting to have escaped. Perhaps it says about where I stand in the blogerarchy...

At this point, it's customary for the taggee to tell 5 things that people don't necessarily know. So here goes:
1. I released an album and made a rock video. I was in a band and taking it really seriously for about nine years, and the high point was releasing an album through Universal - which was largely funded through our fan club. The best part was a fan in Japan emailing us a photo of the album on a shop rack in Tokyo. Ultimately it sank without trace ;-)... we kind of lost momentum after that, then I started MWD, my wife became pregnant and life got very different very quickly. Just a few weeks ago I finally got some time to start playing the guitar again.
2. I had and recovered from cancer. When I was 20 and studying as an undergrad I got Hodgkin's Disease, which is a form of thyroid cancer. The lucky break was that if you're going to get a cancer, this is probably the best one to get. These days the cure rate is pretty high if it's caught fairly early, and the other lucky break was that it was caught early. A few days before my 21st birthday, after a few rounds of chemotherapy and a month of radiotherapy I got the all-clear, and I've never looked back. I actually feel pretty lucky to have been through that experience, which probably sounds strange.
3. The strange surname goes back 4 or 5 generations. Despite that there's only a large handful of W-Ds around, as a lot of the kids along the way have been girls. The bizarre thing is that neither Ward nor Dutton was from a wealthy background so they had no obvious need to both preserve their surnames: AFAIK they were both domestic servants.
4. I spent 7 years at a boarding school and loved it. My Dad was in the RAF, and so we moved around a lot when I was a kid. The first year was hell - the headmaster was awful and had no control, so the prefects ran the place and were pretty sadistic. After that things got much much better and by the time I was 18 it had become one of the happiest times of my life. My big sister also went to a boarding school, but unfortunately her experience was nowhere near as good.
5. One of my most treasured possessions is a BBC postcard from astronomer Patrick Moore. For those of you not from the UK, Moore was pretty much a national institution in the 70s and 80s - doing lots of TV stuff on space and astronomy. I was completely nuts about space and was desperate to be an astronaut. Aged 7 I wrote to him to ask him if he believed in aliens. He wrote me back a few type-written words on a plain white BBC-postmarked postcard saying yes, he certainly hoped they existed. I couldn't have been happier.

This has been going around for a while, so it's not that easy to find 5 blogger acquaintances who haven't already been tagged... so I'll choose Dale Vile, Sandy Kemsley, Sandy Carter, Matt Deacon, and Jon Collins. Over to you, people!

Labels:

Comments:
Neil, I was tagged once on this, but the day before I left for a month's vacation in Europe last December so didn't see it until much later and didn't respond because I was hoping that the meme had run its course.

I think that it is time to let this one die -- I'll respond on my blog, but I'm not going to pass it on!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Burn this feed
Burn this feed!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Blog home

Previous posts

Has Microsoft got BPM?
First MWD FM SOA interview: David Clarke, Cape Clear
MWD FM kicks off interviews with SOA vendors
TIBCO's ActiveMatrix and 4GL for SOA
Internet-scale identity systems
EMC strikes while the virtualisation iron is hot
Bill Gates says goodbye to the RSA conference - an...
A couple of interesting CardSpace snippets
Symantec's Norton gets all user-centric
We the librarian

Blog archive

March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blogroll

Andrew McAfee
Andy Updegrove
Bob Sutor
Dare Obasanjo
Dave Orchard
Digital Identity
Don Box
Fred Chong's WebBlog
Inside Architecture
Irving Wladawsky-Berger
James Governor
Jon Udell
Kim Cameron
Nicholas Carr
Planet Identity
Radovan Janecek
Sandy Kemsley
Service Architecture - SOA
Todd Biske: Outside the Box

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Enter your email address to subscribe to updates:

Delivered by FeedBurner